Skin Care is Self-Care: My Nightly Skin Routine and a special from Skin Owl
As mothers, we tend to put others wants and needs ahead of our own. Sometimes we find ourselves run-ragged, un-showered and surviving off caffeine. The other night, I gave my husband a basic facial: a cleanse, face, head and neck massage, treatment mask and a nighttime oil. He said "I should do this more often!" to which I replied "I do it for myself every night!"
It's so important to make sure we take care of ourselves by working out, eating the right foods and nourishing our skin and soul - even if it means the house stays a little messy or you have to ask for some help. Most nights my husband is home before Sawyer is in bed and while he gives her a bath or reads bedtime stories, I lock myself in the bathroom for 20-30 minutes to decompress, shower and take care of my skin.
My nightly skin care routine looks a little like this:
- Make-up removal with Josh Rosebrook's Herbal Infusion Oil (lots of goodness remains in your skin from this!)
- Apply additional cleanser as a mask and leave on for 5-10 minutes in the shower
- Skin Brush to help circulation, lymphatic system, exfoliation, cellulite and even sneezing! (Read more about why I skin brush here)
- Rinse or wash in the shower using Aleavia's prebiotic skin care Body Wash (discount with code jannyorganically20)
- Shower - I use a water filter to remove about 90% of chlorine and chemicals (or if you want to keep your shower head use this one)
- Shave - I haven't found a "green" razor I love yet, but tip: I remove the icky chemical-laden "strip" above the blades then use Aleavia body wash as my "shave gel"
- Pat Dry with a towel so I still have moisture on my skin
- Apply Body Oil while still standing in the shower. The water from my shower will be locked in as extra moisture as I air dry. Faves are:
- Apply face oils while body oil absorbs. In previous months it has been Vintner's Daughter but this month it has been Skin Owl's Mangosteen Beauty Drops. I apply 5-6 drop and press into my skin and take a moment to inhale the aroma by cupping my hands over my nose and mouth
A Heroic Nighttime Oil
Have you experienced Skin Owl's Mangosteen drops yet? If you have and love it, well, you're going to be excited for this month's Beauty Hero selection! If you haven't....you're in for a treat!
There are two ingredients in this month's pick:
- Raw, organic, cold-pressed Baobab oil and
- Pure Mangosteen oil
Nothing else...yet you will notice the oil has the sweetest scent on it's own, straight from the source! These two oils work together to create an incredible calming, anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant and anti-bacterial potent serum that is perfect for addressing acne flare ups, though it is suitable for all skin types. You can use this serum on it's own as a treatment and moisturizer OR on top of another serum as a nighttime moisturizer. Like I said, the smell is so sweet, I dare you not to think of candy while you apply it!
In addition to getting Skin Owl's $85 top seller for the Beauty Hero price of $39 (and yes that includes shipping!) you get a Beauty Hero *exclusive* Beauty Steam as a sidekick. This seasonal steam comprised of Yarrow, Helichrysum, Cornflower, Calendula, Rose petals and buds, French Lavender super blue and Chamomile works to release tension and decongest, detox, hydrate and soothe the skin.
Directions for use from Skin Owl:
After cleansing your face, place 2 spoonfuls of herbs into a bowl of boiling water and allow them to steep and cool for a few minutes. Drape a towel over your head and the bowl allowing the rising steam to carry the regenerative herbal properties to your skin. Steam for a maximum of 5 minutes and follow with your favorite SkinOwl Beauty Drops. Practice this skin-loving ritual once a week to maintain soft, gloriously glowing skin. If you have cystic acne, please limit steaming time to one minute.
I thought this was a bit excessive as I only have *so* much time to spare, but I drink tea before bed nightly as well, so I put the kettle on to heat water for my tea and beauty steam simultaneously. It only takes an additional few moments to steam before applying oils, and my first experience left me sounding like my husband: I need to do this more often!
Whether you're a mom or not, we're all busy and can overlook self-care or confuse it with an indulgence or luxury. I'd urge you to find time to take care of yourself before you take care of others!
You can take advantage of this special price to snag these Skin Owl picks from Beauty Heroes here! (Link goes live March 1st, but if you subscribe before then here, your March shipment will still be these heroes!)